About NAV 2016 Limited Users
“Limited Users” get restricted access to the ERP Solution to complete only the following tasks:
- “Read” access to any data contained in the ERP solution and
- “Write” access to a maximum of 3 table objects with the following exceptions:
- Limited users are not authorized to write directly or indirectly to the following tables: General Ledger Entry (table number 17), Permission Set (table number 2000000004), Permission (table number 2000000005) or Access Control (table number 2000000053); and
- Tables described in Appendix:” Limited User Included Tables” do not count towards the 3 table objects. Writing the transactions of a Limited User to a temporary table then having a Full User (or a system process) post those transactions to table 17 is an example of indirect write access to table 17, which is not permitted. Transations created by a Limited User are not considered indirect write access if (i) they are needed by a Full User as in an input to perform their job function and (ii) transactions are processed individually (not in a batch)
“The Limited User” Included Tables should allow you to perform the following tasks:
- Create a Customer with relevant contact details, based on a template or from scratch.
- Create an Opportunity for an existing Campaign, and relate it to Sales Quotes or Orders.
- Create a Sales Quote for an existing or a new Customer.
- Send a Sales Quote by email, send it for approval, or convert it to a Sales Order.
- Create a Sales Order for an existing or a new Customer.
- Send a Sales Order for approval.
- Create a Vendor with relevant contact details, based on a template or from scratch.
- Create a Purchase Order for an existing or a new Vendor.
- Send a Purchase Order for approval.
- Fill in an existing timesheet
- Perform Document Capture – Expense reporting by scanning an invoice to create an incoming document
- Use the charts on two role centers: Order Processor (for Sales scenarios) and Purchasing Agent (for Purchase scenarios).
However, if your specific deployment requires more than 3 tables not part of the Included range in order to fulfill these tasks, a Full User will be required.
Any access beyond these limitations requires Full User access.
When assigning security rights to users, the system administrator will designate them as Full Users or Limited Users.
Appendix A: “Limited User Included Tables”
“The following tables do not count towards the maximum of three permitted for Limited Users in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016.”
|Table #||Table Name||Dated Added||Table #||Table Name||Date Added|
|18||Customer||6-Oct-2015||5065||Interaction Log Entry||1-Oct-2012|
|19||Cust. Invoice Disc.||6-Oct-2015||5072||Campaign Entry||1-Oct-2012|
|24||Vendor Invoice Disc.||6-Oct-2015||5078||Segment History||1-Oct-2012|
|37||Sales Line||6-Oct-2015||5086||Cont. Duplicate Search String||1-Apr-2012|
|39||Purchase Line||6-Oct-2015||5093||Opportunity Entry||17-Sep-2015|
|43||Purch. Comment Line||20-Nov-2012||5106||Document Dimension Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|44||Sales Comment Line||20-Nov-2012||5107||Sales Header Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|51||User Time Register||1-Oct-2012||5108||Sales Line Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|97||Comment Line||1-Oct-2012||5109||Purchase Header Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|130||Incoming Document||6-Oct-2015||5110||Purchase Line Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|133||Incoming Document Attachment||6-Oct-2015||5123||Inter. Log Entry Comment Line||1-Oct-2012|
|222||Ship-to Address||6-Oct-2015||5125||Purch. Comment Line Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|224||Order Address||6-Oct-2015||5126||Sales Comment Line Archive||1-Oct-2012|
|225||Post Code||6-Oct-2015||5127||Deferral Header Archive||6-Oct-2015|
|249||VAT Registration Log||6-Oct-2015||5128||Deferral Line Archive||6-Oct-2015|
|308||No. Series||6-Oct-2015||5150||Integration Page||1-Oct-2012|
|309||No. Series Line||1-Oct-2012||5151||Integration Record||1-Oct-2012|
|355||Dimension Ledger Entry||1-Oct-2012||5203||Employee Qualifications||1-Jan-2014|
|356||Journal Line Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5205||Employee Relative||1-Jan-2014|
|357||Document Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5207||Employee Absence||1-Jan-2014|
|358||Production Document Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5214||Misc. Article Information||1-Jan-2014|
|359||Posted Document Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5648||FA Allocation Dimension||1-Oct-2012|
|361||G/L Budget Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5765||Warehouse Request||6-Oct-2015|
|389||Service Contract Dimension||1-Oct-2012||5766||Warehouse Activity Header||1-Oct-2012|
|405||Change Log Entry||1-Oct-2012||5772||Registered Whse. Activity Hdr.||1-Oct-2012|
|454||Approval Entry||6-Oct-2015||5773||Registered Whse. Activity Line||1-Oct-2012|
|455||Approval Comment Line||20-Nov-2012||5806||Contact Duplicate Search||1-Apr-2014|
|480||Dimension Set Entry||1-Oct-2012||5809||Item Charge Assignment (Sales)||6-Oct-2015|
|481||Dimension Set Tree Node||1-Oct-2012||5814||Inventory Period||20-Nov-2012|
|487||Business Chart User Setup||15-Aug-2015||6550||Whse. Item Tracking Line||1-Oct-2012|
|760||Trailing Sales Orders Setup||6-Oct-2015||7002||Sales Price||6-Oct-2015|
|762||Account Schedules Chart Setup||15-Aug-2015||7004||Sales Line Discount||6-Oct-2015|
|763||Acc. Sched. Chart Setup Line||6-Oct-2015||7012||Purchase Price||6-Oct-2015|
|770||Analysis Report Chart Setup||15-Aug-2015||7014||Purchase Line Discount||6-Oct-2015|
|771||Analysis Report Chart Line||6-Oct-2015||7135||Item Budget Dimension||1-Oct-2012|
|869||Cash Flow Chart Setup||15-Aug-2015||7310||Warehouse Journal Batch||20-Nov-2012|
|900||Assembly Header||6-Oct-2015||7311||Warehouse Journal Line||20-Nov-2012|
|901||Assembly Line||6-Oct-2015||7312||Warehouse Entry||1-Oct-2012|
|904||Assemble-to-Order Link||6-Oct-2015||7313||Warehouse Register||1-Oct-2012|
|906||Assembly Comment Line||6-Oct-2015||7318||Posted Whse. Receipt Header||1-Oct-2012|
|950||Time Sheet Header||6-Oct-2015||7319||Posted Whse. Receipt Line||1-Oct-2012|
|951||Time Sheet Line||6-Oct-2015||7320||Warehouse Shipment Header||1-Oct-2012|
|952||Time Sheet Detail||1-Oct-2012||7321||Warehouse Shipment Line||1-Oct-2012|
|953||Time Sheet Comment Line||1-Oct-2012||7322||Posted Whse. Shipment Header||1-Oct-2012|
|954||Time Sheet Header Archive||6-Oct-2015||7323||Posted Whse. Shipment Line||1-Oct-2012|
|955||Time Sheet Line Archive||6-Oct-2015||7324||Whse. Put-away Request||1-Oct-2012|
Software License Terms for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 and Microsoft Dynamics C5 2016
TYPES OF USER LICENSES. Except as otherwise specified, the types of user licenses for the software are as follows:
- Access Licenses (CALs and SALs). In addition to the server software license, you must acquire and assign an Access License to each user that accesses the ERP solution directly or indirectly. You need an Access License for each user that directly or indirectly accesses the ERP solution through a third party application. Access Licenses are specific to an ERP solution and may not be used with or shared among different ERP solutions.Types of CALs. There are two types of CALs: Full CALs and Limited CALs.
- A “Full CAL” is a license that entitles a user to perform the tasks of a Full User.
- A “Limited CAL” is a license that entitles a user to perform only the tasks of a Limited User. You may license up to 4 Limited CALs per Full CAL.
Types of SALs. There are three types of SALs: Standard SALs, Extended Use Additive SALs, and Limited SALs.
- A “Standard SAL” is a base SAL license that entitles a user to perform Full User tasks across the ERP Solution using all of the functionality included in the Starter Pack, as described in the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015/2016 Licensing Guide located at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=509810.
- An “Extended Use Additive SAL” is a license, additive to the Standard SAL, which entitles a user to perform Full User tasks using the functionality included in the Extended Pack, as described in the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015/2016 Licensing Guide.
- A “Limited SAL” is a license that entitles a user to perform only the tasks of a Limited User.
- “Concurrent CALs” are licenses that allow any user to access the ERP solution. The number of concurrent CALs licensed refers to the maximum number of users that may access the ERP solution simultaneously. You may select the Full CAL or Limited CAL as concurrent CAL types. Concurrent CALs can only be licensed under the Perpetual License Model.
- “User SALs” are licenses that are specific to each user and may not be shared with other users. You may select the Standard SAL, the Extended Use Additive SAL, or the Limited SAL as user SAL types. If you select the Extended Use Additive SAL, You must license Extended Use Additive SALs for all Standard SALs. The Limited SAL grants access to the same set of functionalities that are available to users performing Full User tasks, subject to the restrictions listed in the Limited User definition. Microsoft grants you, at no charge, two SALs of the same type used by your Full Users: one specifically for an External Accountant User, and one specifically for a System Administrator User. You may permanently reassign your user SAL from one user to another. You may temporarily reassign your user SAL to a temporary user while the permanent user is absent. The External Accountant User and the System Administrator User cannot be used for any other purposes. User SALs can only be licensed under the Subscription License Model.
- “External Users” You do not need Access Licenses for external users. External users must be designated in the user table for the software, and cannot use any clients provided by the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Application Programming Interface (API), such as the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 Windows client, or the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 Web client. External User licenses must not be used for business process outsourcing purposes.For additional information about the types of user licenses and the license restrictions regarding user licenses, see the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2015/2016 Licensing Guide located at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=509810
nice post about NAV Light License Configuration
How to Configure Limited Users in NAV?
3 thoughts on “About NAV 2016 Limited Users”
The NAV 2015 licencing guide (The only one i have access to) doesn’t include Sales Header and line, so no sales quotes on a limited use licence, I see your post now shows it is included, do you perhaps have a PDF for the updated licencing guide that i can show a client?
I know this is a little bit old post and probably no one cares, but the list of uncounted tables is not complete, at least some system tables such as User Personalization (2000000073) or Page Data Personalization (2000000080) are not listed, but included in NAV2016.
you are right!