Item Attributes in Business Central
I’ve never talked about this feature of Business Central (and NAV 2017) that I find interesting and that can be useful. It can be used to store and manage some information related to articles in a simple way; it is not a product configurator but can be useful and can be enhanced with some small customizations.
- You can add additional details to items (ex: E-commerce attributes)
- You can define many types of attributes fields
- You can manage also multi language for attributes
- You can block an old attribute and values (like in Dimensions)
- In addition, you can use attributes in Sales Orders… or where you need, with a little and simple customizations.
Item Attributes – Tables
#1 – Let’s now look at some functional examples:
- Open Item Attributes
- Define a new attribute (ex: SIZE Attribute, Type=OPTION)
Note: If you select Option in the Type field, then you can choose the Item Attribute Values action to create values for the item attribute.
- Define ATTRIBUTE VALUES and TRANSLATIONS
- We can assign Item Attributes Values
Ex: Dimensions (Values) for “Size” Item Attribute
- We can also define a “translation” for each value
At “the end”…. we can find the “New Item Attribute” SIZE ready to use in Attribute List Page.
Item Attributes, where I can find them on Item Card?
In Items List Page and in Item Card Page you can open “Attributes” to select attributes and assign values for them.
Ex: Attributes from Item Card
- Blocked Attributes and blocked Attribute Values are hidden in the dropdown list.
Filtering by Attributes
You can filter objects by Attributes Ex: Filtering on Item List Page
#2 – Attributes for Item Categories
We can also define attributes for the “Item Categories” will be applied to the item while creating new Items.
Note: By Default, Item attributes for parent categories will be inherited to child categories, you can change\override them as you want.
#3 – Item Attributes utilization example: Item Attributes on Sales Order (from Advanced View)
Selecting items in a Sales Order Line, you can apply the Item Attributes filter using “Advanced View”
Item Attributes (on Microsoft Docs)