Business Central: Send an appointment from Job Planning Line

Feature

In addition to using Business Central in Outlook, a feature that I think is interesting is that of being able to send an appointment to the planned resource directly from the job planning lines.

This is not comparable to the mail sending functions present in the service module (there are some limitations) but it is still interesting and useful; we are moving towards project management and not just jobs … next step: send the task directly to MS Project for resource pool scheduling?

Activation

To activate its management (otherwise you will not see the Outlook option visible), you need to enable the new email-scenario management.

If sending the email does not work for various reasons (AAD, different email, SMTP setting etc.) it is always possible to download the appointment file with the Outlook appointment and manually send it to the user.

Small thing but that could be useful for project management, I point out.

Email scenario

• Job Planning Line Calendar Scenario

Job Planning Lines

• Outlook action is visible on Job Planning Line

Send to Calendar

• Create a calendar appointment for the resource in each job planning line

After the Click > en emal was sended to planned users

If you accept, the appointment is logged in Outlook

5 thoughts on “Business Central: Send an appointment from Job Planning Line

• 11 May 2022 at 2:42 PM

Hello,
    I’d like to ask you a question, I don’t have the same display as you.
    I receive an empty email with an .ics file and I have to double click it to add it to my calendar.
    Do you have Outlook configured to read these .ics files?
    Or add an add-in for that?

Thank you very much.

• 27 June 2022 at 4:43 PM

Hi,
    I have tried to test this function, but can’t find a e-mail on resource card? So where will it sent the invite?
    I got the Outlook action on the Job planning line.
    /Louise

• 23 September 2022 at 3:27 AM

Hi Louise, I tried and found that the Authentication email ID from the user ID “Time Sheet Owner” field in the resource card is the ID to which the system sends the email with ICS as attachment

• 7 July 2022 at 1:09 PM

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for the great blog.

I have the same question as Constantin, when I perform this action, I receive an empty email with an .ics file in the attachment. This is not imported directly into the Calender. Did you have to do any additional configuration for this (in Business Central, Outlook,…)? Thanks in advance!

• 13 October 2022 at 12:35 AM

“There are no applicable planning lines for this action.”, I have this error? Thank you for the assistance.